Thursday, June 16, 2016

Thoughts on Community

I've had ten days by myself in Sitka while Glenda flew east to attend a conference.

This was the week of the Orlando tragedy.

Each morning, I have ridden my bike to a quiet little coffee shop in this small town of 9000 souls. I would spend 2-3 hours writing, while observing the interactions of customers. A few moments ago, a pretty young woman, whom I had seen the previous day as well, came into the shop with a friend. Wearing jeans, a work shirt, her long brown hair braided down her back, she looked every bit the part of an Alaskan. From overheard conversations I learned that she was raised in Sitka, but had moved  south to Washington State for work. She was returning for a visit to her home town after having been gone for a year.

What struck me was how, as people lined up to order coffee, every third or fourth person recognized her. She was kept constantly busy, barely having time for her own coffee, hugging each acquaintance, chatting a few minutes, catching up with news of a friend from high school, a teacher, a relative. The variety of friends were as varied as anywhere in the world: white, native, black, asian.

Every third or fourth person.

Two days in a row.

It struck me how too many of us in our nation haven't ever experienced the warmth and acceptance that can come from living in community--whether an actual small town or a virtual one. Instead, too many lead isolated lives, claiming a few friends from work, a spouse, a child or two, lost among the anonymous box stores and caught up in the fear-inducing miasma of the media.

Sitka is a town that has nothing but smiles for strangers. In ten short days, I feel at home here, welcomed by fellow boaters, commercial fishermen, people who love my little Brompton folding bike, or new-found friends attending the 45th annual Sitka Classical Music Festival. Sitka: a place carved from the wilderness, accustomed to the daily appearance of bears, a community that embraces rather than fears "the other."

There is a lesson here. I'm sure of it.

This same week, Glenda sent me a link to this wonderful video. A group of young people from different countries, many of them nation states that "hate" one another, submit to genetic testing--and learn the ultimate human lesson, that we are all truly one big family.

This world, and our own imperfect country, are so much better than we are led to believe.

Just a few photos this blog--most of them iPhone portraits of the beautiful setting the residents of my favorite little town in SE Alaska enjoy every day.

Be well,

Peter

Mouth of Indian River south of town.

Eastern Anchorage south of town

Swan Lake less than a quarter mile from "down town" (Yes. Swan Lake.)

From my dock looking east

An old halibut schooner

You have to wait a long time to catch the sunset this time of year.

But it's often well worth the wait





No comments:

Post a Comment